Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Is Her Daddy Chinese?




I have been expecting it. I knew it would come, but I didn't know when. It came last week...the first insensitive comment from a total stranger. Maybe it wasn't insensitive...maybe just inquisitive but I wanted to knock this lady out all the same.


Lily and I made a trip to the grocery store as we were running low on noodles. I felt the eyes on us...every trip up an aisle and down the next. I passed her several times when she finally called out in her best hillbilly voice, "IS HER DADDY CHINESE?" I was a little shocked but managed to spit out, "As a matter of fact, he is!" I only wished I had been thinking quick enough to add, "And so is her mother!"

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
GL said...

Just remember, "Illegitimi non carborendum". Don't waste any energy on ignorance when the world if full of people that love Lily and her family.

GL

Anonymous said...

Ergh. We luckily haven't had too many yet...
However you are so right! Maddie and Lily COULD be sisters...hmmm
P.S. Wanna come to PA this summer??????

Pete and Gail said...

"Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother or father" Author: Oprah Winfrey.
Gail

Renee said...

You don't know me. I work at Meadowview at the front desk and know Pete. My two children are as different as night and day. One is fair skined, blond and blue-eyed (takes after me) while the other has dark skin, dark brown hair and brown eyes (looks like her dad). When they were very small a lady ask me at Wal-mart if they were both my daughters and I told her "yes". She then aske me if they had the same daddy. I told her, "If it's any of your business, yes they do." I know where you're coming from when you wanted to knock her out.

ChrisBillEmilyKatie said...

.. sorry I ahve net sent messages... I am a bumb..
the girls look beautiful for Easter. Hope all is going well..

Chris

Sara said...

Thank you for the wonderful comments and for following along on my journey!!

Sara-

Carol said...

where are you hiding!!!!!!!!!!

liza said...

nice post