Friday, February 22, 2008

I love Xian in the Springtime!






I know this gets old, but another great day here in Xian! Believe it or not, the sun came out and we saw some blue sky! It felt like a fresh Spring day. Today we visited the Terra Cotta Warriors...one of the biggest highlights of our trip, next to Miss Lily, of course. I have been looking forward to seeing these infamous soldiers for a long time and they did not dissappoint. For those who don't know about the terra cotta army, they were created by the Emperor Qin, who needed an elaborate army to protect him in the afterlife. He used over 7000 craftsmen to dig several giant pits and they made over 6,000 lifesize terra cotta soldiers, officers, generals and horses to guard his tomb. It took 38 years to construct and after the project was completed, the emperor had all of the craftsmen and workers thrown into pits and buried alive to protect the location of the tomb. The amazing thing about this army is that it was only discovered in 1974 when a group of local farmers were digging a well. Emperor Qin is best known for starting the Great Wall and uniting China into one nation, instead of 7 separate countries. He was hated by his people, though, and after his death they pillaged the army, stealing their weapons to overthrow his regime. These soldiers were created 200 years before Jesus was born...WOW!

After the army, we visited Walmart! Another WOW! Three stories of rollbacks and low prices!!!!
I was very impressed at how clean and neat the store was, even the meat department where you could get squid, stingray and a variety of snakes to serve for dinner! We bought some Budriser, diet coke and bottled water. A couple of snickers bars and Lay's potato chips made it into the buggy, as well. Miss Lily picked out a new pair of sneakers at Walmart and it was obvious by her reaction she has never had a new pair of shoes...just for her. She told everyone she met about her beautiful new shoes and she put them on as soon as we got back to the room. She strutted in front of the mirror and closed herself in the dark bathroom so she could see them light up! When she was done with that, she put on her new pair of pink mary jane shoes (rolled back to $2!) and would not take them off until bathtime!

She continues to delight and amaze us...she is still talking a blue streak and just opens herself up more and more everyday. She delighted the crowd today by feeding Sophie peanuts with her chopsticks! Big sister loves the attention, too! We have our moments, of course, as Miss Lily is very high energy, but overall I think things are going very well. It is priceless to hear Lily yammering on and on in Chinese to us...she has no clue that we don't know what she's saying. We just smile and nod. She is picking up some English, too. Local people will ask her name in Chinese and she now responds in English "Lily!" She tells us "Let"s a go!" when it's time to go somewhere. Communication is good, between our charades and the Chinese we've learned. We definitely know how to ask her if she has to potty, if she's hungry and how to tell her she's full!

Again, thanks for all of the comments. We love reading them, so please keep them coming. A special "Ni Hao" to Mrs. Dunford's class at Miller Perry Elementary School...Sophie is learning a lot, but misses her friends. To Molly, Mattie and Eli...Thanks for taking good care of our kitty and fish!

Tomorrow we will see the sites within the Xian City Wall...the Drum Tower, the Bell Tower and the Wild Goose Pavillion. We also get to eat lunch at McDonald's, so it should be yet another great day!

8 comments:

GL said...

When I'm not sobbing, I am laughing out loud. You have better storytelling talents than I realized, and you could always tell a good story! I am so glad you are having such a wonderful experience and creating life long memories for us all to share. Hugs and kisses all around.

Em said...

Hey! Its Em! All of the DeBraals down here in Fl Have been checking the website daily me and the katie are so excited to have another cousin!! she is sooo cute!!! We hope you are having fun Dad and katie went to Wisconsin for the wedding. We Miss You Keep writing!!

ChrisBillEmilyKatie said...

Hi. Wow Walmart in China, whoo knew! I peobably still would not shop there. Can you imagine how excited you'd be to have a new pair of shoes, your first pair at the age of 5. That's another one I may have to try on Emily and Katie. Katie's next pair of new shoes will be when Emily leave for college. It's a college savings plan in the making! She only has to wait for 3 years!... If Emily's old ones are to big we will stuff the end with cotton. How much would you like to bet Katie will be BEGGIN to live with you. How exciting to see the joy in Lily's eyes and probably Sophie's amazement at all the new things Lily will experience. We get to see some of that when we go on the Mission trip and the teenagers are always amazed that not ALL kids have an IPOD! Trust me they are AMAZED... Somehow Katie got Dirk, Jim and Joy to go with her and Bill to the golf course to slide down hills on the saucer. I remember Pete helping Emily slide down on the saucer in Colorado. Bill said she was having a blast. I have a mental picture of 4 adults standing out on a frozen, snow covered golf course in 10 degrees while a 10 year old runs around having hte time of her life. They will be there for a while, Bill will have to drag her home because Katie will play forever or until lunch, she gets her full 3 meals per day or you'll know about it!
Seeing just a few of the soldiers at Epcot was neat, but seeing thousands must be just amazing. The photo's look amazing. Plus in the photo's both Sophie and Lily have such big smiles. Very Pretty Girls! You and Pete look very happy also.
Have fun, enjoy McDonalds. Will you have a McFish, perhaps a McSnake, McEEL or a McStingray? I have heard stingray tastes like scallops.

Enjoy,

Chris

Anonymous said...

Ah, I am so glad Xian's weather is treating you so nice! I am a little jealous too... ;) It's ok, I am going back!
Hope you enjoy the city tour! McDonald's is different, but good!

Kim Possible said...

Hey Everyone, it's Sarah. Sorry I haven't commented before but school has kept me really busy. I was wondering if you got pictures of the Wal-Mart and McDonalds? They would be very interesting and helpful for my human geography class. Wow, it must have been amazing to see all those warriors. Did you know that his tomb was originally encased in copper? I can't wait until you get back so I can meet my new baby cousin! Does Lily know how to write in Chinese? You should have someone write something for you and I can have one of my friends who are taking Chinese translate it for you. Have fun and take lots of pictures. All my love, Sarah

Kim Possible said...

Hey Everyone, it's Sarah. Sorry I haven't commented before but school has kept me really busy. I was wondering if you got pictures of the Wal-Mart and McDonalds? They would be very interesting and helpful for my human geography class. Wow, it must have been amazing to see all those warriors. Did you know that his tomb was originally encased in copper? I can't wait until you get back so I can meet my new baby cousin! Does Lily know how to write in Chinese? You should have someone write something for you and I can have one of my friends who are taking Chinese translate it for you. Have fun and take lots of pictures. All my love, Sarah

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

What a sweet story about those new shoes! When we were in Xian (July) it was over 100 degrees every day! Glad you are having glimpses of spring-like weather! Is the Walmart a new one? We didn't see one and our guide didn't know of one in the city!

Unknown said...

hi. i am from chile and just clicking over here over there i stop here. is was just so cool your histories, i gonna read them all later is late here and now.

and 7000 craftsmans, impresive, that terracota soldiers are amazing!!

i like the history and you style of write trapped me XD

a lot of hi's and my inglish really sucks because i am from chile.

byeeeee